Fifty-four volunteers helped Friends of the Mystic River to clean up Riverbend Park, MacDonald Park, Condon Shell Park, and the river itself (two people in a boat). Altogether, the volunteers collected about 30 bags of trash and recyclables, plus 4 car tires, 3 car batteries, and 2 shopping carts! [and a partridge in a pear tree].
In Medford Square, 37 volunteers collected trash on Riverside Ave, including the brick plaza, on Clippership Ave and the new Clippership Park, as well as in the intersection at the center of the Square. They also cleaned up and planted several concrete planters with pansies, alyssum, and hostas.
And at the Brooks School, teams of students, teachers, and other volunteers collected used and broken appliances from almost 100 cars. The donations from the collection will go to the Brooks School PTO.
The Medford Square team would like to thank everyone who helped spruce up the area:
- All the volunteers (including the utterly tireless Ken Kraus)
- Organizer Anna Nguyen of Xtreme Ninja Martial Art
- The City of Medford
- GS Music for the great band
- Medford Garden Club, Sharon Hepburn, Aggie Nobile, and others for the plantings and supplies
- Mystic Coffee Roaster for the wonderful coffee (appreciated on a breezy day)
- Papa Ginos for pizza
- Susan Fairchild for going the extra mile (literally)
- All the other supportive businesses in the Square
- And anyone else we forgot to mention!